More than 168 professionals joined us for the 8th annual Lean Continuous Improvement Summit at the American Family Training Center on September 10, 2018. We had an amazing time reconnecting with colleagues and meeting new friends.
Tell us about your Summit experience, what we can do to make it better in 2019, and topics you’d like us to cover/speakers we should invite. A certificate of attendance will be generated when you submit your survey.
Download the Summit attendee list.
The Wisconsin Center for Performance Excellence is grateful for the support from American Family Insurance, Wisconsin’s Lean Government Program, MiPRO, MetaStar Inc, and the many individuals and organizations who helped make the 8th annual Lean Continuous Improvement Summit a success.
2018 Plenary Session Speakers
Wisconsin Lieutenant Governor Rebecca Kleefisch
Rebecca Kleefisch is Wisconsin’s 44th lieutenant governor. Since January 2011, she has been Wisconsin’s Jobs Ambassador, a champion for worker training, and a leader for creative solutions to our state’s toughest challenges. In 2012, Executive Order #66 called for state agencies to start applying Lean in their organizations. Today, Wisconsin’s Lean Government Program is helping state agencies to solve problems that consume employee time, cause frustration, or incur unnecessary costs AND promote good stewardship of resources and good customer service.
Matt Cornwell, Lean Customer Value Associate Vice President, American Family Insurance
American Family is undergoing a cultural transformation to bring its traditional customer focus to a whole new level through: collaboration, experimentation, empowering people closest to customers and processes to create an agile culture of experimentation and innovation. With over 8,000 people and operations spread across the country, American Family has had many successful local process improvement efforts that never scaled into a coordinated companywide effort. Matt Cornwell will share how the company is changing that through the American Family Lean System, digital transformation, and driving change with their employees – not to them.
Breakout and Intensive Session Speakers (presentations will be uploaded as received)
- IBM Design Thinking | Justin Gilbert | IBM Enterprise Design Thinking Coach (Intensive Session)
- Gemba Tours | Nichole Caya | Director of Lean Customer Value | American Family Insurance (no presentation).
- Business Transformation | Chris Vogel |MiPRO (Intensive Session)
- What’s a Data Intermediary and what can they do for you?| Katie Pritchard | Data You Can Use
- Standard Work and Error Proofing | Joe Gergen
- Metric of Urgency | Michael Gratz | MiPRO
- Process Mapping | Samuel Schmitt | WI Department of Administration
- Kaizen Events | Peter LaBonte and Carrie Cyr |Goodwill Retail Services of Southeastern WI
- Leading Lean | Bob Andrew | Personal Lines Underwriting Operations Associate Vice President |American Family Insurance
- Racial Equity Impact Analysis Tools | Melissa Gombar and Alia Stevenson| City of Madison Best Practices Handout| RESJI Handout
- Improving Processes and Programs to Maximize Student Success at Chippewa Valley Technical College | Julie Furst Bowe | Chippewa Valley Technical College
- Building Capacity for Lean and Continuous Improvement Using A3 | Kathleen Caron |WI Department of Health Services
- Identifying Savings and Efficiencies | Jacquelyn Irving | WI Department of Transportation
- Getting Better, Faster: Improving Milwaukee County Step by Step | Roberta Drews and Sarah Milnar McLaughlin | Milwaukee County
We’re pleased to share presentations from its seventh annual Lean Government Conference. Our 2017 line-up reflected the progress Wisconsin organizations have made and the opportunities to capitalize on our gains. Access the presentations below: